annual awards ceremony and open house on Tuesday, October 5, 2021 at 10:00 a.m. at the headquarters of the Saginaw Fire Department, 801 Federal Avenue.
The awards ceremony will honor those who went above and beyond the call of
duty when help was desperately needed. Saginaw Fire Chief Tom Raines explained the importance of the event, “Our awards ceremony allows us the opportunity to recognize the efforts of citizens, firefighters, and other first responders who have made the City of Saginaw a safer community. It also provides us an opportunity to honor those firefighters who have lost their lives in their service to the City of Saginaw”.
Following the ceremony and presentation of awards, there will be tours of the fire
station available for all who are interested. Refreshments will also be available at that time. All guests are required to wear a mask or appropriate protective face covering during the event.
The awards ceremony is in recognition of Fire Prevention Week 2021, which is
October 3 through October 9. The event is in partnership with the National Fire
Protection Association to promote fire prevention and fire safety. ““Learn the Sounds of Fire Safety,” is the theme for this year’s Fire Prevention Week. The theme reminds residents of the importance of learning the different sounds of smoke and carbon monoxide alarms.
In support of the 2021 Fire Prevention Week theme, the SFD offers the following tips about smoke and CO alarms and the sounds they make:
• A continuous set of three loud beeps means smoke or fire: evacuate, call 9-1-1 and stay out of the building
• A single chirp every 30 or 60 seconds means the battery is low and must be changed
• Chirping that continues after the battery has been replaced means the alarm is at the end of its life and the unit must be replaced
• All smoke alarms must be replaced after 10 years
• Make sure smoke and CO alarms meet the needs of all family members, including those with sensory or physical disabilities
Saginaw residents are encouraged to check out the NFPA website at www.nfpa.org/fpw for additional fire prevention awareness and preparation information.
For more information about the awards ceremony or Fire Prevention Week, please contact the Saginaw Fire Department at (989) 759-1393.