City of Saginaw MI -

COVID-19 - Employee Resources

Click Here

COVID-19 - Testing Sites

Click Here

City of Saginaw FMLA Leave Expansion and Emergency Paid Sick Leave Policy (Coronavirus)

To comply with the Families First Coronavirus Response Act and to assist employees affected by the COVID-19 outbreak with job-protected leave and emergency paid sick leave. This policy will be in effect from April 1, 2020, until December 31, 2020. Our existing FMLA leave policy still applies to all other reasons for leave outside of this policy.

Click Here

There are two (2) forms that the City is using at this time to assist in administering the New FMLA Leave Expansion and Emergency Paid Sick Leave Policy.

The first form is called the Request for Emergency Paid Sick Leave. This form should be used for the following Reasons as outlined in the policy.

  1. The employee is subject to a federal, state or local quarantine or isolation order related to COVID–19.)
  2. The employee has been advised by a health care provider to self-quarantine due to concerns related to COVID–19.
  3. The employee is experiencing symptoms of COVID–19 and seeking a medical diagnosis.
  4. The employee is caring for an individual who is subject to either number 1 or 2 above.
  5. The employee is caring for his or her child if the school or place of care of the child has been closed, or the childcare provider of such child is unavailable, due to COVID–19 precautions.(There is No intermittent leave for Child Care)
  6. The employee is experiencing any other substantially similar condition specified by the secretary of health and human services in consultation with the secretary of the treasury and the secretary of labor.

There is no intermittent leave allowed for Emergency Paid Sick Leave.

Note: Since there are employees currently off work as a result of the Governor's STAY HOME order, Those employees that are off work now will not be required to fill out the request form as a result of the isolation order described in number 1 above.


Unpaid Approved

As we prepare to return to normal business operations, we want to remind employees of the City's longstanding practice/policy for someone off work for personal reasons including medical reasons, they are required to use PTO or Comp time prior to being considered to use Unpaid Approved. ( Supplementing STD has been an exception)

On March 13, 2020, the City temporarily allowed employees the ability to request the use of unpaid approved time for employee or family illnesses.

Effective May 1, 2020, the City will revert back to the standard practice that requires employees off work for personal or medical reasons to use accrued PTO or Comp time.

The only exception to this practice/policy, at this time, is for employees that are not required to return to work because of the Stay Home Stay Safe Executive Order or those employees that are off work to care for their children as a result of school closings or child care closures.

If you have questions, please contact the Office of Human Resources.

The Second form is called the Request for Expanded Paid Leave. This form should be used for an employee requesting Paid FMLA leave as a result of their Child's school or day care closing. In addition, if an employee does request leave for this reason, they may also want to complete the Emergency Paid sick Leave form to cover the first 10 unpaid days of the Expanded FMLA Paid Leave. There is no intermittent leave allowed for the Expanded FMLA leave.

We do have forms on the internet where employees can fill in and save the file and send to department heads or you can print it off or you can obtain a copy from your payroll clerks or HR. Hard copies are fine to use as well. All requests must be approved by your Department and Human Resources before leave can be granted. This is important to make sure your requests for how you want to be paid are processed. Hope this answers questions about processing forms. Contact HR if you have questions.

Request for Expanded Paid Leave

Click Here

Please email all forms to:

Unemployment Compensation Notice to Employees

    Information Needed to File a claim:

  • Your social security card.
  • Your state issued driver's license or ID card number or your MARVIN PIN (if you have one).
  • The names and addresses of employers you worked for during the past 18 months along with your quarterly gross earnings.
  • The first/last date of employment with each employer.
  • Your most recent employer's Federal Employer ID number (FEIN) and Employer Account Number (EAN). Depending on your situation, knowing the account number may speed up the processing of your claim.
  • If you are not a a U.S. citizen or national you will need your Alien Registration card and the expiration date of your work authorization.

Click Here

Emergency Leave Bank March 2020

Click Here

Expanded Emergency Leave Bank

Click Here

Access My Gov Instructions

Click Here

How To Access Your Payroll Information

Click Here

Supplementing While on FMLA Announcement

Click Here


Click Here

COVID-19 Preparedness and Response Plan 6-1-20

Click Here

COVID-19 Training Manual

Click Here


Did you know?
The City of Saginaw's TV station (SGTV) is now live online, 24/7? Visit
visit our Youtube channel


The Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) rules have changed. To see how the City of Saginaw is now handling FOIA requests, please visit our new FOIA page.