City of Saginaw, Michigan


SmokeDetector

Smoke alarms save lives! Every home must have working smoke alarms. The Saginaw Fire Department strongly recommends that working smoke alarms are present in all bedrooms, living areas and levels of your home.

Smoke inhalation, not burns, is the leading cause of fire-related death, and can be fatal in several ways. When the oxygen in the air is replaced with elements such as carbon dioxide due to fire, asphyxiation is likely to occur. There are many other harmful chemicals in smoke as well, such as carbon monoxide and hydrogen cyanide. These chemicals not only contribute to suffocation, but also poison the body. They are released when building materials or plastics are burned, and they disrupt the body's cellular ability to process whatever oxygen does make it to the lungs during a fire.

For more information on smoke alarms visit:

http://www.nfpa.org/safety-information/for-consumers/fire-and-safety-equipment/smoke-alarms/safety-messages-about-smoke-alarms