City of Saginaw MI -
After the Fire
- Contact your local disaster relief service, such as the Red Cross, if you need temporary housing, food, and medicines.
- If you are insured, immediately contact your insurance company for detailed instructions on protecting the property, conducting inventory and contacting fire damage restoration companies. If you are not insured, try contacting private organizations for aid and assistance.
- Check with the Saginaw Fire Department, 989-759-1393, to make sure your residence is safe to enter. Be watchful of any structural damage caused by the fire.
- If the utilities have been disconnected contact Consumers Electric and Gas for assistance in reconnecting. DO NOT attempt to reconnect utilities yourself.
- Conduct an inventory of damaged property and items. Do not throw away any damaged goods until after an inventory is made.
- Try to locate valuable documents and records. Information should be maintained in a safe spot concerning contacts and replacement sources for documents.
- If you leave your home, contact the Saginaw Police Department, 989-759-1288, to let them know the site will be unoccupied.
- Begin saving receipts for any money you spend related to the fire loss. The receipts may be needed later by the insurance company and for verifying losses claimed on income tax.
- Notify your mortgage company of the fire.
- Check with an accountant or the Internal Revenue Service about special benefits for people recovering from fire loss.
Subscribe to our Email Newsletter Today
SGTV LIVE STREAM:
FREEDOM OF INFORMATION ACT
The Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) rules have changed. To see how the City of Saginaw is now handling FOIA requests, please visit our new FOIA page.
ROAD CONSTRUCTION:There are no planned construction projects to display at this time.